"Why are you being such a 'beach' about it Tenma?"Pipkin Pippa

Vidya Games Thread

John Vtuber👁️

Sentient Eyeball, Primarch of Hag Pride Worldwide
Certified Manwhore
Ah Microsoft is having a big Steam sale and from what I am seeing they haven't released anything worth playing for... a really long time...

unfortunately, that would require them actually making games instead of cancelling them or moving studios to the Forza mines

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick

Korone's game looks fun.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
I've been playing Atelier Iris on my Steam Deck recently. Decided to do some grinding down in the sewers and ran into this.
IMG20240419201433.jpg

Guess it's a good thing I saved before going down there to grind, because what the hell is this? Three "Mull Beasts" and a "Legion?" What are these things doing in a low-level area?

Edit: Oh, thank God I was able to run. I got several level ups while I was grinding, and that would have sucked to lose.

Last edited:

Helmet-kun

I can't stop repeating words in longposts :(
So, inspired by the Paradox-posting in here the other day, I decided to pull up good old Victoria 2 again. "Surely there are some people out there still making mods for this game", I thought to myself.

And then, after a little bit of aimless internet searching, I found this.

Project Alice.

Project Alice is an open-source recreation of Victoria 2, with a few changes like no 3d models(because of copyright issues) and modern performance improvements. Most of the biggest mods have compatibility patches so you can use them with Alice, and it also is supposed to have working multiplayer which is FUCKING NUTS to me. Apparently it was a long time project that got reworked after Victoria 3 sucked. It's In 1.0 already, the open source stuff has people frothing at the mouth over it, so it runs and plays. Lots of weird fonts and UI, but overall pretty fucking good considering the short timeframe and the size of the project.

But that's not the most interesting thing going on here.

Alice's development has been embroiled in weird internet shenanigans, leading me down a bizarre rabbit hole of back-door development drama! (get it cause alice in wonderland haha)

Apparently, there is a SECOND open-source version of Victoria 2, called OpenVic. And the lead developers of these two projects (Alice's head dev goes by schombert, and OpenVic's dev is a streamer who goes by Spudgun) worked on the same project together for a little while, calling it OpenVic2. And they split up VERY quick, with OpenVic 2 being renamed to OpenVic and schombert using his previous solo work to create Project Alice. And now, they make pissy posts about one another on various sites such as reddit and Discord, with the other devs screenshotting them and throwing them around after the fact!

Sorry for the wall of Imgur posts and links in advance, they're breaking when I put them in spoilers :pippasadl:

This one was posted by Spudgun's reddit account called "Mountandthrowaway313":

Which, when you go through the account, you find more imgur screenshots of schombert (some of which are apparently cherrypicked):

Here's some of the more entertaining reddit blurbs:

Argument 1

Argument 2, Spartan322 is also a OpenVic dev btw

"Does it run on Mac?"

"You're really going to start this 'people's front of Judea' beef?"

Argument 3, this one is probably the most entertaining one.

________
So, yeah. TL;DR, there are two versions of open-source Victoria 2 out there on the internet. From what I've seen so far, they have their own use cases.

OpenVic: Changing multiplayer to be more stable/easier, runs on Mac and Linux more reliably, slower development.

Alice: Already mostly finished while having original Vic 2 style multiplayer, runs at hyperspeed, much better mod support for now.

Thought this one would be interesting for some of you guys. I'm not going into it any further unless one of the devs becomes a V-tuber.

Last edited:

ScarletCorrupt

Awawawawa (derogatory)
With all the Diablo posting I've seen from @God's Wingiest Winger I want to talk about the original game. I was going to effortpost a while ago when I finally went back and played it but never found the time, so I'll settle with this. Being late to the party and starting with POE, I didn't feel the need to experience Diablo in it's prime.
Then D4 came out and... yeah. Speaking of D4:

Everything about Diablo 1 was fantastic. It's easily my favorite in the series, even when comparing it to the sequel. The atmosphere is unmatched, and was such a cool experience. I had obviously heard music from the original games in passing, but getting to hear them in game was brilliant. After years of playing POE and modern takes on the genre, going back to Diablo was nice. The simplicity of the gearing and gameplay was very refreshing. There's just something great about going through everything SSF (solo self found). Finding unique items felt cool as hell too. I remember finding the Constricting Ring very early on.

After my initial playthrough (as a Warrior obviously), I then installed the mod Beelzebub for a second run through, which I did as a Barbarian. Getting to see a bunch of the cut quests, which were later used for the sequel was really cool. Though I still prefer the vanilla experience. Oh and I'm not going to touch on Hellfire, as I never bothered trying it. Maybe I will when I go back and play through again. Hopefully when I do that I'll end up doing a series review here, we'll see.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick

Just Miko having fun with people's original creations in Soul Calibur.

Postal rrat

chinshilla

Bronze

God's Strongest Dragoon

Embracer group is splitting into 3

Looks like that Saudi deal falling apart is what triggered them finally imploding. Hopefully the debt restructuring they're doing doesn't cripple Coffee Stain. I can definitely see Lars trying to offload as much debt as he can to one of the 3 groups so it burns down away from the other 2.

Abomination

She can't keep getting away with it!
With all the Diablo posting I've seen from @God's Wingiest Winger I want to talk about the original game. I was going to effortpost a while ago when I finally went back and played it but never found the time, so I'll settle with this. Being late to the party and starting with POE, I didn't feel the need to experience Diablo in it's prime.
Then D4 came out and... yeah. Speaking of D4:

Everything about Diablo 1 was fantastic. It's easily my favorite in the series, even when comparing it to the sequel. The atmosphere is unmatched, and was such a cool experience. I had obviously heard music from the original games in passing, but getting to hear them in game was brilliant. After years of playing POE and modern takes on the genre, going back to Diablo was nice. The simplicity of the gearing and gameplay was very refreshing. There's just something great about going through everything SSF (solo self found). Finding unique items felt cool as hell too. I remember finding the Constricting Ring very early on.

After my initial playthrough (as a Warrior obviously), I then installed the mod Beelzebub for a second run through, which I did as a Barbarian. Getting to see a bunch of the cut quests, which were later used for the sequel was really cool. Though I still prefer the vanilla experience. Oh and I'm not going to touch on Hellfire, as I never bothered trying it. Maybe I will when I go back and play through again. Hopefully when I do that I'll end up doing a series review here, we'll see.

I played the first Diablo when I was a kid, and the atmosphere was creepy to me. It really gave off a feeling of dread over what was happening. It was great. They've never been able to replicate it. Even in D2, which is mine and most people's favorite. While the rest of the games had some challenge at times and some great moments, they definitely didn't give off the same creepy vibe as the first.

Bronze

Atlus' Metaphor trailer is released. Collector's edition at the end looks pretty sick imo

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Atlus' Metaphor trailer is released. Collector's edition at the end looks pretty sick imo

1713835895765.png
Too rich for my blood. I'll be content with the Release Edition giving me a Steelbook case.

And watching that trailer, I know they implied in the previous trailers that humans don't exist in that world. But did they also imply those crazy fucking eldritch abominations early in the trailer were 'feral humans' in that world? Crazy. I cannot wait until this is out. At least I have the major game for the fall set in stone for me.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
Eiyuden Chronicle finally comes out tomorrow, who's picking it up.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
Eiyuden Chronicle finally comes out tomorrow, who's picking it up.
Probably not until I know enough Japanese to play in that language. I saw a screenshot where one of the localizers included the sentence, "*Sigh* Another muscle-bound chud." No thanks.
Ori and the Blind Forest is pretty good. I was worried it was going to be shit after how long and boring the prologue was.
Just finished Will of the Wisps. The escapes were much better, the combat was infinitely better, and it actually had boss battles. Blind Forest was pretty good, but Will of the Wisps was great.

On a side note, I found out you can throw the star attack through barriers if you angle it just right, allowing you to break those walls that can only be broken from one side. I accidentally got through to the area where you get the final wisp. Since the pillar that you break while exploring the ruins was still unbroken, I kept getting killed by that lava worm thing until I reset my game. Thank god it reloaded me from my previous save, because I would have just dropped it and probably never touched it again.

Saturnus

haha it's unou

I'm honestly really looking forward to this game alongside SMT5V. If the rest of the Atlus rumors for this year are true (they have been so far) a Digital Devil Saga Duology HD Port and potentially an HD Remaster of SMT IV is down the pipeline. We're so back.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
Probably not until I know enough Japanese to play in that language. I saw a screenshot where one of the localizers included the sentence, "*Sigh* Another muscle-bound chud." No thanks.

Confirmed? I might just grab a japanese disc then, the state of localization is a disaster at the moment.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter

Postal rrat

chinshilla

God's Fattest Moojisan

Don't watch Vtubers, do hard drugs. Better for you

"Hey guys let's use a term that's only known by either the most terminally online leftists or people that watched an obscure horror movie from the 80s. Oh and the ones that know it from the movie where the word came from are using it wrong."

I don't understand how these people are real. Did literally no one bother checking the translation quality or are they all sniffing each other's farts so much they think that's a normal word?

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
I don't understand how these people are real. Did literally no one bother checking the translation quality or are they all sniffing each other's farts so much they think that's a normal word?
Kirsche interviewed Poltfan one time - https://x.com/PoltFan69 - and he said that no one does check. The reason is its impossible for Japanese to fathom someone promising to do work for a company than intentionally fuck it up. They have nearly zero problems with the rest of the language translations, it's literally just English. Its honest to god just a problem they aren't aware exists. There is a growing movement though to make Japanese companies aware of bad actors in the translation community and institute audits of their work.

Edit:

5irgzd.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom